The Covid-19 pandemic has caused a lot of havoc with our lives & lifestyles. A lot of us have been forced to stay home in order to stay safe. This forced alteration in our lives has seen a sharp increase in 2 problems.
1. Increased Back & Neck pain due to bad postures, lack of proper infrastructure leading to bad ergonomics and extended working hours due to a lack of a clear demarcation of professional & personal time.
2. Increase in exercise-related injuries as most people are exercising either without proper supervision, or because of not warming up & cooling down before & after the exercise, and also being forced to hurry up in keeping up the pace with the online group classes.
Please read on to know how to avoid these problems & continue to work/exercise effectively from home without having to suffer from these issues.
Tips to prevent Back & Neck pain
- Pay attention to your posture.
- Try to choose a chair that contours to your spine & ensure that your entire back is supported.
- Adjust the height of your chair in order to rest your feet flat on the floor or a footrest.
- Remove your phone or wallet from your back pocket.
- Ensure that the monitor, keyboard, mouse & chair are positioned properly.
- If you need to write while talking on the phone, use the phone on the speaker or use a headset.
- Periodically walk around & gently stretch out.
Tips to prevent exercise injuries
- Always consult your doctor before starting a new exercise program start slowly & increase gradually.
- Moderate exercise of around 20 minutes three times a week is a good place to start off.
- spend adequate time warming up & cooling down. These often neglected aspects of the work out are the most common causes of exercise injuries.
- Dress appropriately including having the proper equipment, clothes & shoes.
- Listen to your body. No pain, no gain is a fitness myth that has been long busted. If you feel the pain of any sort, stop & discontinue the activity.
n conclusion, whether the lockdown is a boon or a bane is entirely up to us. A healthy lifestyle with the right mix of work, rest & exercise can go a long way in preventing these problems & help us to remain healthy & active.
Contact us for more details:
59 A, MNR Complex,
Near Steel Factory Bus Stop,
DoddaBanaswadi Main Road,
Bengaluru-560043 Phone: 080-4370 1281 Mobile: 9591618833
Please share your unique experiences during the lockdown in the comments section below.