Orthopaedic Mattress – Its Benefits for You
What is an Orthopaedic Mattress?
An Orthopaedic mattress is a mattress that is specifically designed to support the joints of the body as well as the back. Hence, it is good for the overall body. The name “ortho” is derived from the study of orthopaedics which is the branch of medical study and surgery concerned with bones and musculoskeletal systems. The field of orthopaedics looks specifically at the function of the spine and other joints, and orthopaedic mattresses are commonly used by people who suffer from back problems. Read on to find how you could benefit from an orthopaedic mattress.
Orthopaedic mattresses: The Benefits
Specifically designed to offer excellent support and comfort, an orthopaedic mattress provides many benefits.
- The firm surface of the mattress means you get optimum push-back for the perfect sleeping position. This will reduce tossing and turning and help you to wake up feeling refreshed.
- An orthopaedic mattress evenly spreads your body weight to prevent the build-up of pressure points, particularly in your neck, back and hips.
- Orthopaedic mattresses ensure correct spinal alignment to help alleviate stress on the spine and reduce back pain.
- An orthopaedic mattress helps you to adopt the correct posture as you sleep, promoting healthier blood circulation throughout the night.
- It helps in lowering muscular pain.
- Also, it helps reduce upper, middle and especially, lower back pain.
- It cures sleeping discomfort and imparts a sound and relaxing sleep.
- It consists of different layers that ensure good posture while sleeping. This in turn reduces and prevents body pain.
- An orthopaedic mattress neither lets the body sink inside it nor keeps the body propped outside of the mattress
- It helps in correcting deformed posture
- By providing maximum support, an orthopaedic mattress also ensures maximum support, reduces tossing and turning, and also helps in even weight distribution of the body.
Hence, the mattress is designed to provide an undisturbed and relaxing sleep while keeping the spine in the correct position.
Is an orthopaedic mattress right for me?
An orthopaedic (or orthopedic) mattress offers great support and pressure relief to help reduce aches and pains.
- For back and joint pain The firm surface of an orthopaedic mattress promotes healthy posture alignment and pressure relief. Find more tips to relieve your back pain over on our page, sleep tips for a bad back.
- For those who like a firm sleep surface If you simply prefer the feel and support of a firm mattress then an orthopaedic mattress is a good choice.
It is worth noting that the firmer feel of the mattress isn’t for everyone. Choosing the right level of firmness and support for you is important. Many orthopaedic mattresses are firmer or extra firm, which may not necessarily suit your body weight: you may find that some of these mattresses feel too “hard”. This will cause more aches and pains in the long run.
Which is the Best Orthopaedic Mattress in India?
There are many orthopaedic mattresses available in India but the first approach to answering this question is the type of material used in the manufacturing of the mattress. As there are many types of materials available, look for the types of mattresses available. Orthopaedic mattresses are available with different comfort and support layers to offer something for everyone. Here are the types of fillings they have in orthopaedic mattresses:
- Standard springs (open coil)
- Pocket springs
- Memory foam
- Reflex foam
- Gel foam
- Natural fillings
So, what’s better?
Although memory foam and latex are two completely different materials, they are widely used in the manufacturing of an orthopaedic mattress. Memory foam provides excellent contouring and thus provides greater pressure relief. Memory foam is mainly made of polyurethane along with some additional chemicals which eventually increases its viscosity and density.
Besides, memory foam is PU foam, chemically produced, and has a closed-cell structure. Because of closed cells, it traps heat and becomes softer over long usage. And once it gets softer, its pressure relieving properties reduce and that is when you start feeling uncomfortable on a Memory foam mattress.
On the other hand, latex is made up of the sap of the rubber tree. Its pressure-relieving properties are lesser than that of memory foam but it adds more support. Also, it is natural and has no chemicals involved, so it very safe to sleep on. Moreover, it is highly durable and there is no wear and tear even after long usage.
It also has pin core holes in it that help in regulating the temperature as you sleep. It also makes sure that you don’t sleep hot. Above all, it provides excellent support to your back. This back support is what makes it a better orthopedic option than memory foam.
How long does an orthopaedic mattress last?
Similar to all other mattress types, it is recommended that you change your mattress every seven years. It is especially important to stick to this guideline if you have an orthopaedic mattress.
You may get to the seven-year mark and think your orthopaedic mattress feels fine. However, the springs and fillings are sure to have weakened, meaning you are no longer getting the orthopaedic support you require. This could cause your back and joint pains to re-emerge.
Read more related articles on Neck pain and spine care here.
Please let us know if you have any questions and do leave a comment
Contact us for more details:
59 A, MNR Complex,
Near Steel Factory Bus Stop,
Dodda Banaswadi Main Road,
Bengaluru-560043 Phone: 080-4370 1281 Mobile: 9591618833