What is Arthritis? Symptoms, Precautions, Treatment
Arthritis is defined as the soreness and swelling of your joints. On a simple note, arthritis means joint inflammation. Osteoarthritis is one of the most common types of arthritis. Some other rheumatic conditions linked with arthritis include fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and gout. The rheumatic condition leads to stiffness, aching, pain and swelling in the joints. These symptoms can occur either gradually or suddenly. Arthritis like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis causes harm to many of the internal organs present in the body. Some factors that promote arthritis are genetic makeup, injury, abnormal metabolism and dysfunction of the immune system.
It is reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that in the United States nearly 54.4 million adults have attended a diagnosis regarding arthritis. Keep on reading the article below to have a vivid description of arthritis.
Types of Arthritis
Let’s have a look at 7 of the most important aspects of arthritis.
1. Inflammatory Arthritis -Inflammation occurs in a normal human being as a defence mechanism against bacteria or viruses. But, with inflammatory arthritis, inflammation takes place in individuals without any valid reason. This category of inflammation causes damage to joints leading to pain, swelling, and stiffness.
2. Degenerative arthritis – This kind of arthritis includes the damage to the cartilage whose main duty is to cover the end surfaces of a bone.
3. Soft tissue musculoskeletal pain – This kind of pain is sensed in tissues other than bones and joints.
4. Back pain – Back pain can originate from nerves, bones, muscles, joints or ligaments.
5. Connective tissue disease (CTD) – The main function of connective tissue is to support and bind tissues and organs of other body parts. CTD refers to inflammation and joint pain.
6. Infectious arthritis – This kind of arthritis is caused due to viruses, bacteria or fungus entering the joints.
7. Metabolic arthritis – Uric acids are formed in the body by the breakdown of substances known as Purines. Purines are present in the cells of human. In some individuals, there is a huge accumulation of uric acid which leads to metabolic arthritis.
Causes of Arthritis:
There are different causes for different categories of arthritis. Some of the most important causes are as follows: –
Improper metabolism –
Injury – Dysfunction of the immune system
Arthritis is related to a vast group of factors while some have got no valid reason for their cause. A few people might be hereditarily bound to build up certain joint inflammation. Factors like past infection, injury, smoking, etc. can increase the chances of arthritis. Nutrition and diet play an important part to defend arthritis. However, foods rich in refined sugar or foods derived from animal increases the chance of
arthritis. Gout is a type of arthritis that is caused due to an increase in uric levels. The uric level increases if someone is having a diet rich in purines. Some high purine foods are red wine, meats, seafood, etc. Vegetables that are rich in purine do not submit to any of the gout symptoms.
Some of the most common signs and symptom related to arthritis are as follows: –
Stiffness of joints –
Warmth in the joints –
Fever and Depression –
Swelling of joints –
Soreness of joints –
Redness of joints –
Loss of some motion in joints –
Pain in the joints
Several healthy habits should be practiced by people to decrease the chances of getting painful joints. Let’s through some light on them.
1. Keep your joints protected:
You must follow the right technique for sitting, walking, lifting, etc. You should also perform your daily work in a correct posture to decrease any kind of harm in your bone.
2. Avoid injury Along with the time the joints begin to wear out. But if you are getting some injury in your joints then it will cause harm to your cartilage and it will wear out in a much faster period. So try to avoid injury as much as you can using proper safety equipment.
3. Weight control Your knees provide support to your body. Your whole body rests on it. If you will get overweight then the pressure on your knees will increase to a larger extent. According to Johns Hopkins, 10 pounds overweight increases the force on the knees by 30 to 50 pounds at every step. Have a proper diet and exercise to keep your weight in control.
4. Eat Fish Fishes are a rich source of Omega 3 fatty acids, a healthy polyunsaturated fat. Omega 3s is a good ingredient to decrease inflammation in the body.
Treatment for Arthritis:
There is a wide range of medication strategies that can help to get rid of arthritis and defend joints from any damage in the future. Some treatments are as follows: –
Joint assistive treatments –
Losing weight –
Surgery (may include replacement of joints)
Apart from the treatments as discussed above having a balanced and healthy diet with correct exercises tends to reduce arthritis in the people. So let’s see some of the natural remedies of arthritis.
1. Diet: Foods good for joint health are as follows. –
Whole grains –
Seeds and nuts –
Olive oil –
Vegetables and fruits
However, there are foods that arthritis people should prevent from consuming. Nightshade vegetables like tomatoes are reported to have solanine, a chemical related to arthritis pain. It’s better to avoid them.
2. Physical therapies: Some of the physical therapies that should be tried by peoples are as follows: – Occupational therapy – It includes defending the joints from any kind of damage and fatigue and selecting specific guides and hardware for your body. – Physical therapy – It includes specialized exercises as per the requirement of individuals. – Warm water therapy – It includes the exercises to be done in warm pool water.
3. Natural therapies: Several natural remedies are also helpful in defending different kinds of arthritis. Versus Arthritis, a UK based organization, supports the use of rosehip, Boswellia and devil’s claw. Herbs like garlic, black pepper, turmeric, ginger, and green tea are suggested to a person suffering from arthritis. But before taking any of them we recommend you to talk to a doctor.
We hope that the article was helpful in providing you with some great information regarding arthritis. We at Total Orthocare are really happy to announce that we are now offering treatment regarding arthritis in Bangalore. We are always there to solve all your joint problems.